Colorado & North Western #30
When it was built for the Colorado & North Western in 1898 by the Brooks Locomotive Works in Dunkirk, NY, (later part of Alco), this was one of the three largest narrow gauge locomotives in the world (#30-#32).
To set the steam chests under the 60" diameter smokebox, they were to be canted outward. This had been done on some of Brook's recently built standard gauge engines, but it caused major lubrication problems and, of the three, only #30 had the sloping steam chests, as can be seen in the three photos above.
The C&NW ran west from Boulder, CO, up the Boulder Canyon to Ward and Eldora. Freight traffic was not enough to keep the railroad profitable, so it advertised itself as the "Switzerland Trail of America" to entice tourist revenue, but finally went bankrupt in 1909. Its successor, the Denver, Boulder & Western had an even shorter life, going bankrupt in 1919.
In 1920, the operation was bought by Morse Brothers Machinery & Supply Co., in Denver, which traded the three engines to the Colorado & Southern in 1921.
Renumbered #74 and classified as a B-4-F, the locomotive worked on the C&S until 1943, when the last of its narrow gauge trackage was abandoned. Returned to Morse Brothers, it sat until 1948 when it was bought by the Rio Grande Southern. It had a brief life on the RGS until operations ceased in 1951 and, the following year was donated for display in the City of Boulder, CO. In 2012, after a cosmetic restoration, it was leased to the museum.
#30 weighs 945,000 lbs. With
16" x 20" cylinders, a 19.3 sq ft grate, 130 sq ft firebox and total heating surface of 1,289 sq ft, it operated at 180 psi delivering 21,172 lbs tractive effort. The original inside Stephenson valve gear was replaced with Walschaert by the C&S.