A&SV (UP) Caboose 25466
Union Pacific built 100 CA-7 cabooses in 1959 in their own Omaha Shops numbered 25400-25499.
Built: March 1959
Retired: May 25th 1989
UP upgraded 75 of these cabooses for "Pool Service" in 1975. The remainder were upgraded from 1976-1977. After the upgrades they weighed 58,000 lbs. All of the class CA-7's were still in service in 1979, with the last removed from service in July 1991.
It was common for railroads to assign a caboose to a conductor for his exclusive use. Conductors took great pride in their cars, despite the caboose's many derogatory nicknames, including "crummy", "doghouse", "bone-breaker", "snake wagon" and "hearse". The men decorated their car interiors with many home touches, including curtains and family photos. Some of the most important additions were ingredients for cooking meals that became a part of American folklore. Augmented with such comforting features, the caboose served as a home away from the trainmen's home terminals.